Friday 8 November 2013

The power of the introvert

So my new favourite thing to do is watch TEDtalks. Anything goes as long as it gets me thinking and the latest find about the power of the introvert from Susan Cain did just that. Click here for a quick path to watch it.

It's conditioned in many of us that extroversion and being the loudest gets you where you want to go, and the more I observe this in reality the more it makes me question...is that really the case?  There are some amazing 'introverts' in the world, great thinkers who are at their best where they're working on something by themselves or fantastic strategists with the ability to make millions if they're given the right environment to work.  The more I look at it, the more I think that introversion gets confused with lack of confidence - I feel passionately with this one that B doesn't follow A.  I'm just going to say it - you can be an introvert and still be confident, and extroversion doesn't get you where you need to go.

Spending time watching this clip and thinking about the true meaning of introversion has had me sitting back and reflecting.  This is going to surprise most people that know me, and no sniggers please, but I'm introvert. Yep, you read that right.  I might be ok with standing up in front of people and delivering a training session, running a meeting or just having a conversation, but actually I'm at my best in my own company.  'Group think' is great for some things but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to think clearly when I'm surrounded by lots of people and really feel a difference if I take time out by myself. At one point I'd have absolutely described myself as an extrovert but things have definitely changed for me. As far as I can tell introversion doesn't mean you have to be shy...thoughts on a post card, or just a comment on here!

Enough about me and my indulgent rant, and swiftly on to the questions I'd urge you to think about...
- what is your perception of introversion?
- what do you know about the reality of introversion?
- what assumptions do you make about introverts?
- do you have a favourite...introvert or extrovert?!
- what are you?
- is there anything you need to change about the way you think about introversion?

Take some time to have a think...I hope it challenges some common misconceptions!

Happy reflecting x


1 comment:

  1. Hi Charlotte,

    I haven’t watched the video as I found your summary was sufficient so I apologise if the content of this reply overlaps anything they said.

    In NLP in a business context we elicit something called meta programmes. One of which is to establish whether some ones preference is introvert or extrovert and the question asked is:

    "When it's time to recharge your batteries, do you prefer to be to be with another person(s) or by yourself?"

    This fairly accurately gives an idea of which preference someone is. To apply this into a work setting, introversion is sometimes (but not always) linked with the learning style of reflector and extroversion, activist. Reflectors tend to need to go inside their head and think about something before arriving at an answer and take some time to do so whilst the activist will think fast, consult others and take immediate action – quite often rushing into things.

    Taking into account this reflector/activist idea, I am myself an extrovert (mostly) and an activist. I don't have a favourite preference however I find that activists can think as fast as I do and I get excited about actually doing things rather than sitting around thinking about them – although that is also enjoyable as long as it leads to action.

    My business partner, Rob, is reflective in nature and because we understand how each other operate, we work well together. It tends to be that I produce ideas immediately and get started with things straight away. Rob takes his time and will then add things and make suggestions later which I hadn’t thought of.

    With this in mind, if someone was to change the way they thought about introversion, I would help them by suggesting this; give them space, time and gentle support and they will produce something magnificent.

    I hope this is useful :)
    Paul

    ReplyDelete