Tuesday 2 April 2013

Are you being genuinely inquistive?

I started this blog to ask, help you ask, and try to find answers to questions.  In hindsight, I probably should have started with this entry!

I was talking to a friend this weekend who was talking about a time when he was away with work recently and found himself being asked a heap of questions by a little boy of about 6 who was on holiday with his parents.  The questions (of which there were about 15!) ranged from 'are you stopping at the hotel' to 'what are you having for tea', and as he was recounting the story to me something sparked in me...when was the last time we were all genuinely inquisitive?  No hidden agenda, just innocent fact finding questions when you're genuinely interested in what the person opposite you has to say.

I know I'm guilty of thinking I'm being inquisitive with no agenda, but I generally (and most of the time need to) ask questions to find answers that will impact me in some way at some point.  For me it's mainly circumstance of my line of work, but let's face it we're not in work 24/7 (and if you are we need to talk about your work/life balance!) so now is the time to make a change and embrace your innocent curiosity!  You're essentially going to be making other people feel good about themselves because it's as simple as showing an interest in someone as a person, not what they can do for you now or in the future.  In turn, I promise you'll feel equally as good about yourself - positivity and niceness radiate!!

So, here's the challenge....find 1 question to ask someone everyday for the next week that is nothing to do with work or directly impacting you.  Yes, ok, slightly contrived at the moment but it won't always be - as I've said before it's about forming new habits and I'll have you in the swing of it before you know it. 

In a weeks time, ask yourself this question:
- how is being genuinely curious about people making me feel?

Set your reminders now...I hope you get a nice answer!

Happy questioning xx

No comments:

Post a Comment